< Click the logo to return to the main page
+ More

Google
You are currently browsing the Forums
  Add to Favourites RSS Feed Main Site Knowledgebase Forums  
Search

Forums

You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

win2k3 xvid players 100% CPU usage issues
Moderators: Cole

Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [10 messages per page]
View previous thread :: View next thread
   General discussion -> Issues / ProblemsMessage format

Malboeuf
Posted 24/9/2009 3:03 AM (#1895)
Subject: win2k3 xvid players 100% CPU usage issues

Hi I have some what of a strange issue, I have a toshiba portage 2000 laptop, 750 MHz CPU and 256MB of ram, when I had win2k loaded on this laptop XVID movies played fine on either winamp or the old mplayer that came with win2k
now that I upgraded the OS to get better wireless device options and drivers the XVID players (wmp10,winamp, wmpclassic) lag out, and the CPU is now maxed out, the same can be said for MP4 videos for my cell phone that I have stored on the laptop
I have noticed the more I shrink the window they are playing the CPU usage gets better, if I place another window over the players the CPU does not get any better

any help would be much appreciated
Top of the page Bottom of the page
Link Bot
Related Links:

Bot

Malboeuf
Posted 24/9/2009 4:47 AM (#1896 - in reply to #1895)
Subject: Re: win2k3 xvid players 100% CPU usage issues

Update
I have disabled windows DEP and now only winamp is playable at 100% video size (not full screen) winamp runs 70-80% CPU this way and the vid is pretty good but since win2k simply ran perfect there must be something off about win2k3 server
Cole
Posted 26/9/2009 2:51 AM (#1897 - in reply to #1896)

Owner

Hi, Windows 2003 Server has higher hardware requirements.
Although Microsoft does list quite low requirements they are just the bare minimum and would allow you to do little more than run a few services.
Malboeuf
Posted 26/9/2009 3:40 AM (#1898 - in reply to #1895)

Would XP fair any better?
Win2k XVID video ran sweet on this, I've been looking for better vid drivers to as it seems to have the same laggy refesh rates with both Xp and 2k drivers, on win2k3, I could probably do a dual load, win2k cant really use the built in older wifi while win2k3 cant do video well
grrrr
Malboeuf
Posted 26/9/2009 8:51 AM (#1899 - in reply to #1895)

I started running driver update programs to get an idea of what was out of date and I noticed 3 things, 1St a new load of win2k3EE disables windows audio controller after install (I own game servers world wide and never noticed as Audio hardware is always disabled) next DirectDraw is disabled as well, i noticed this in Dxdiag and flipped it on, then finally the ALI PCI to AGP drivers were installed from win2k3 Disk and not from my win2k drivers. and after a reboot XVID videos now run full screen at 50% CPU thank god
Now I got allot of servers to log on to and enable Directdraw, as Im sure with it not enabled the CPU is picking up slack for in games that use such calculations from the GPU

Hopes this helps some one else down the road

Edited by Malboeuf 26/9/2009 8:54 AM
Malboeuf
Posted 27/9/2009 8:11 AM (#1900 - in reply to #1895)

score, i found that WMP10(compact skin)/wmpayer2.exe/wmplayerclassic cruise along at 38% CPU usage on this 750Mhz laptop any size window or even full screen, winamp and skinned WMP10 all click along 50-60% CPU usage, and 70% in full screen

So I would say w2k3 does not really hog resources as suggested, its just a bitch to tune on older laptop systems.

Edited by Malboeuf 27/9/2009 8:21 AM
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [10 messages per page]
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete all cookies set by this site)

Seconds to generate: 0.078 | Executed queries : 10

Copyright © Cole Williams 1999 - 2024 | www.EnVision-Design.co.uk