< Click the logo to return to the main page
+ More

Google
You are currently browsing the Forums
  Add to Favourites RSS Feed Main Site Knowledgebase Forums  
Search

Forums

You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

No sound when playing mpeg-2 file
Moderators: Cole

Jump to page : 1 2 3
Now viewing page 2 [10 messages per page]
View previous thread :: View next thread
   General discussion -> Issues / ProblemsMessage format

Lucette
Posted 13/6/2008 11:01 PM (#1715 - in reply to #1701)
Subject: Re: No sound when playing mpeg-2 file

Tried this too, but no luck.
These file were given to us. I suspect the people who originally converted them from the original filmed data were not great experts on computers. I am now beginning to think these mpg-2 files are in some way faulty.

Thanks for the help you gave!

Lucette
Top of the page Bottom of the page
Link Bot
Related Links:

Bot

Cole
Posted 14/6/2008 12:23 AM (#1716 - in reply to #1701)

Owner

Hi,

I'd say they're faulty too, Media Player Classic can often play broken files that other players can't.
VLC player is another that can also play broken files, but installing it often causes conflicts with other players and codec's.
There is the possibility that the files are deliberately crippled or missing audio, it's common on some file sharing networks.
Lucette
Posted 14/6/2008 9:42 AM (#1717 - in reply to #1701)
Subject: RE: No sound when playing mpeg-2 file

Hi,

I don't think it was deliberate in this case. They are speech-therapy videos, my sister-in.-law is a speech therapist. She got them from a university study group, together with a whole lot of others (in other formats), and had never played these specific ones.

It is somewhat ironic to end up with speech therapy videos with no sound!!!

We'll see if we can get our hands on the original, don't know if it was from a tape or DVD, and start again.

Thanks again for your excellent help and interest!!

Lucette
jwgnle
Posted 11/7/2009 8:12 PM (#1850 - in reply to #1701)

Hi - A bit after the fact, but I came across this post looking for an answer to the exact same problem.

My wife was trying to play an MPG (a professionally created one) on her laptop using Windows Media Player (11). Audio - No video

I installed Codec Pak V7.7.0... Presto-chango... video, but no audio (Lucette's issue) Tried the various fixes without luck. It happens I'm running the same software on my desktop (as my wife's laptop) but I don't have the same problem. I checked versions and found I am running V6.1.0...

So, I un-installed V7.7.0 from her laptop and instead, installed V6.1.0.... Presto-chango... sound and video... Any ideas on what's different between these two versions.... In both cases I used the Easy install option....

Thanks - Jim
Cole
Posted 11/7/2009 8:46 PM (#1851 - in reply to #1850)

Owner

Hi Jim,
By default the codec packs allow Windows to use it's own decoder for .mpg (MPEG-1) files.
I've checked for differences in MPEG-1 & 2 defaults and cannot see any immediate difference.

A likely fix would be to:

Click "Start" and browse to "Programs/Cole2k Media - Codec Pack" and select "ffdshow Audio", then in the right side of the dialogue that appears look for "MP1,MP2" and click in the collumn next to it where it says "disabled", a drop down list should appear, select "libavcodec", then click "OK" at the bottom of the dialogue and try to play the file again.

If that fixes the issue please post back and I'll change the defaults in the next release to stop it happening again.
jwgnle
Posted 12/7/2009 12:06 AM (#1852 - in reply to #1701)

OK Cole -

I un-installed 6.1.0 and rebooted and verified I was back to square one - audio and no video... I re-installed V7.7.0 which returned the same results as the first time - video and no sound....

I proceeded with your suggested changes... MP1, MP2... Didn't resolve. I also tried MP3 and a number of other audio settings... one-by-one... still nothing.

Obviously something is different with regard to the default V6.1.0 install and the default V7.7.0 install... This is what makes computing so entertaining... lol

Let me know if you'd like me to try other possible "solutions".... Jim
Cole
Posted 16/7/2009 5:27 PM (#1861 - in reply to #1701)

Owner

Can you give me some more information about the file.
Can you open it in GSpot and see what information it gives you.
Lastly, is that the only .mpg file you're having trouble with.
jwgnle
Posted 17/7/2009 4:05 AM (#1863 - in reply to #1701)

She has two MPG files on her laptop. One works and one doesn't (V7.7.0)... I took a screen shot of each using GSpot and was going to post but don't see how to do that... Is that possible on this forum? Also if you want, I think I can upload them to a backup server where you could download them. I'm not really very experienced when it comes to this topic, so not sure what info you need from GSpot... Let me know and I'll provide you the link... Regards

Edited by jwgnle 17/7/2009 4:24 AM
jwgnle
Posted 17/7/2009 4:32 AM (#1864 - in reply to #1863)

Figured the file attachment out I think... Here are screen shots of GSpot of each.....

(GSpot Picture (MPG - Doesn't work).jpg)

(GSpot Picture (MPG - Works).jpg)

Attachments
----------------
Attachments GSpot Picture (MPG - Doesn't work).jpg (63KB - 0 downloads)
Attachments GSpot Picture (MPG - Works).jpg (60KB - 0 downloads)
Cole
Posted 17/7/2009 6:07 AM (#1865 - in reply to #1864)

Owner

Hi,
Thanks, that makes more sense now, the first file is not a .mpg file, it's a .vob file and the audio is LPCM.
By default on the last few packs I've enabled ffdshow to be used to decode LPCM audio, you may wish to try disabling it as follows:
Click "Start" and browse to "Programs/Cole2k Media - Codec Pack" and select "ffdshow Audio", then in the right side of the dialogue that appears look for "LPCM" and click in the collumn next to it where it says "enabled", a drop down list should appear, select "disabled", then click "OK" at the bottom of the dialogue and try to play the file again.
Jump to page : 1 2 3
Now viewing page 2 [10 messages per page]
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete all cookies set by this site)

Seconds to generate: 0.078 | Executed queries : 12

Copyright © Cole Williams 1999 - 2024 | www.EnVision-Design.co.uk