< Click the logo to return to the main page
+ More

Google
You are currently browsing the Forums
  Add to Favourites RSS Feed Main Site Knowledgebase Forums  
Search

Forums

You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

Windows 98, overclocking - closer to the bugs...
Moderators: Cole

Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [10 messages per page]
View previous thread :: View next thread
   General discussion -> Issues / ProblemsMessage format

Mir
Posted 14/9/2007 9:01 PM (#1646)
Subject: Windows 98, overclocking - closer to the bugs...

so lets begin with bug which is connected with overclocking.

If the CPU, Chipset, GPU, Memory and mostly Video memory is overclocked videos may show red and blue dots (thrash bits from RGB?). Mostly black color is affected by this.

For me as ex-programmer, and overclocker too is this behaviour quite problem.

Overclockers look:
Everybody who wants to force his hw to higher 3d efficiency wants rather use different codecs to supress it instead of lowering system speed. For example older Xvid codec 0.411 which i use here for experimental capturing does not create these artifacts as the ffd do, while playing Xvid videos. Thats why are filters not so popular and marked as reliable as the pure codecs.

Programmers look:
If the system is overclocked, it may affect its functionality, stability and overall behaviour. No programmer will guarantee that app will run correctly on overclocked system.

This behaviour is mostly visible in mplayer2. Media Player classic can mostly supress this behaviour, but not always. Also it seems to be connected with DX9 and its behaviour and it depends from each video file...
Top of the page Bottom of the page
Link Bot
Related Links:

Bot

Mir
Posted 14/9/2007 10:35 PM (#1647 - in reply to #1646)
Subject: RE: Windows 98, overclocking - closer to the bugs...

so here are some additional information.

If i have checked "VMR9 Mixer Mode" in MPC the artifacts appeared in video as in Mplayer2/WMV player. If i turn the function off the artifacts were gone.

That is good clue for beginning.

I turned off the libavcodec decoding for Xvid videos and let the original xvid to decode the stream.

With Mplayer2 there were much fewer artifacts, but some of them were still present. In MPC stream was completely artifact free, but image was flipped (upside down).

Then i turned on VMR9 Mixer mode in MPC on again and the MPC has frozen when attempting to open Xvid video.

Video file has been encoded by same version of Xvid which has been used for decoding in this test.

The problem seems to be linked with DirectX 9,0c renderer and with VMR9 mixer. Can be VMR9 forbidden for decoding? i shall try to find an answer in settings.
Mir
Posted 15/9/2007 10:39 AM (#1648 - in reply to #1646)
Subject: RE: Windows 98, overclocking - closer to the bugs...

i have here another info.

at this system configuration are artifacts visible only when video is resized to bigger. Before (system reinstall) i was able to see them even when video was not resized. With current settings i can say that trouble is caused mostly by resizing operation in VMR9 mode.
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [10 messages per page]
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete all cookies set by this site)

Seconds to generate: 0.062 | Executed queries : 10

Copyright © Cole Williams 1999 - 2024 | www.EnVision-Design.co.uk