< Click the logo to return to the main page
+ More

Google
You are currently browsing the Forums
  Add to Favourites RSS Feed Main Site Knowledgebase Forums  
Search

Forums

You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

WMV format issues
Moderators: Cole

Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [10 messages per page]
View previous thread :: View next thread
   General discussion -> Issues / ProblemsMessage format

Mir
Posted 17/6/2007 11:00 AM (#1592)
Subject: WMV format issues

some people reported to me that your codec pack was unable to play WMV format.

They have uninstalled their previous codec packs and then installed Cole2k.

I met this error too. The way how to fix it is to reinstall windows media player. I dont know why or how but it works even when i get error message and installation fails.

the question is what kind of codec corruption can cause this, and how can this be fixed by installing Cole2k.

People thought that cole 2k cannot decode WMV but the real reason was that their player was adressing broken internal wmv codec - possibly affected by incorrect uninstallation of previous codec pack.
Top of the page Bottom of the page
Link Bot
Related Links:

Bot

Cole
Posted 17/6/2007 11:57 AM (#1593 - in reply to #1592)
Subject: RE: WMV format issues

Owner

Thanks for your post Mir.
The problem is often caused by uninstalling old codec packs such as the K-Lite codec pack and some others.
The K-Lite codec pack and some others used to have the default Windows codec's in their installation. As a result when the K-Lite codec pack and/or others were uninstalled, so were the default codec's for Windows.
Another issue is that different versions of Windows support different default codec's, so replacing them with an incorrect version will cause problems.
Mir
Posted 17/6/2007 10:43 PM (#1594 - in reply to #1592)

is there way how to call re-install of actual Windows media player?

Microsoft always integrate their software with OS too much. For example upgrade from Internet Explorer 5 to 6 will cause some changes outside the program.

Also all typical programs which are installed as a part of system mostly contains backup copy of the installer in the program directory. (program files >> Windows media player >> install >> *.exe)

Simple reinstall shall fix this, question is if possible or legal to call this function from your installer.

I made a test:
"microsoft - windows media player 9.0 win 98se-2000.exe"

this is name of installer for WMP9 in directory which was written above. if this file is executed with /Q parameter rest of installation is in quiet mode and user shall not be bothered by rest of installation process.

to view all other parameters execute the installer with /? parameter.
Cole
Posted 17/6/2007 11:54 PM (#1595 - in reply to #1592)

Owner

It's not really a good idea to add it to my package.
The WMP installer will often be named differently and will not always be copied to the WMP directory.

The best option would be to add the missing codec's to the pack and check the files during install, but I'm not sure it's a good idea to fix a problem caused by another package.
Mir
Posted 18/6/2007 9:16 AM (#1596 - in reply to #1592)

It is also bad idea to not fix the bug of previous package. That shall lower the credit of your work.

i think there is a way how to fix it without violating any copyright laws.

Imagine a window during install with this message:

"In order to work Windows media codecs correctly it is strongly recommended to uninstall all previous codec packs and re-install your Windows media player.

Do you want to reinstall Windows media player now?"

answering yes will call the installer in quiet mode, reboot the system (if needed) and then continue the installation of c2k.

Finding the installer is little bit harder.

Also i know that simple codecs from microsoft are quite buggy and best way how to install them is to use WMP installer.

Edited by Mir 18/6/2007 9:18 AM
Cole
Posted 19/6/2007 8:09 PM (#1599 - in reply to #1592)

Owner

There are a great deal of variables when it comes to WMP though.
Users possibly have either version 6.x, 7.x, 8, 9, 10, or 11 of WMP and all have different codec's installed, with even more different versions for different Windows versions.
The level of error checking for all possibilities just isn't reliable and may cause more problems.
It really is just a case of making people aware of the problem.
Mir
Posted 22/6/2007 4:18 PM (#1601 - in reply to #1592)

you are right. i am sure about that...

But also i am sure that all codecs which are trying to use this horrible format are very buggy. even those codecs produced by microsoft.

Thats why some codecs are using "harder way of install" which completely change work of WMV codecs, and after uninstallment is result that codec is not working.
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [10 messages per page]
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete all cookies set by this site)

Seconds to generate: 0.140 | Executed queries : 47

Copyright © Cole Williams 1999 - 2024 | www.EnVision-Design.co.uk