< Click the logo to return to the main page
+ More

Google
You are currently browsing the Forums
  Add to Favourites RSS Feed Main Site Knowledgebase Forums  
Search

Forums

You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

AVI movie stutters with WMP 11
Moderators: Cole

Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [10 messages per page]
View previous thread :: View next thread
   General discussion -> Issues / ProblemsMessage format

bs_pt_2007
Posted 31/1/2007 12:50 AM (#1477)
Subject: AVI movie stutters with WMP 11

Hello everybody! First of all this is my first post to the forum and before doing this I searched but haven't found anything directly related to this.

I've downloaded (legally) a movie in 720p from the Internet and I notice some shuttering in the playback - imagem and video are in sync and they stop for just a few milliseconds but they are noticeable. This occurs from 5 to 5 seconds, in average.

In some other movies (.ts for instance) this doesn't happen. I've also noticed that this can occur when I my HTPC is on for some while (2 or 3 days) doing other stuff.

I guess, from what I've read that this could be caused by any of these situations:

1. CPU/GPU overload (not likely but...)
2. AVI movie was badly encoded (I saw some topics talking about interleaving, not sure what this really means)
3. codec mess

Let me give you more information, hopefully will help!

Thanks in advance for your help!

My machine:
E6600 @ 2,4GHz
Asus EAX 1600 HDMI 256 MB DDR3
2 320GB discs in Raid 0
1 GB dual channel GSkill

My Codecs and Multimedia Applications:
Windows XP Media Center
Cole2K Media Pack 6.0.8
Nero 7 Vision
VLC (just for some testing)
Cyberlink DVD (I didnt't yet uninstalled it but I was willing to)
Note: the list of codecs in GSpot is very large!

GSpot of the movie:
Divx5.0 , 24 fps @ 3631kbps
AC3 48KHz @ 384kbps
6GB in 1280x720

Thanks!
Top of the page Bottom of the page
Link Bot
Related Links:

Bot

Cole
Posted 31/1/2007 2:26 AM (#1479 - in reply to #1477)
Subject: RE: AVI movie stutters with WMP 11

Owner

Hi,

24fps is an odd frame rate.
The odd frame rate would cause a pause if the audio is at a different frame rate, both audio and video would appear to be in sync but would move very slightly between interleaving.
If thats the case then it cannot normally be corrected because either the audio or video would be broken already.
If the audio and video had been out of sync progressively then that would have given something to work with.

Another possibility is that your raid array isn't keeping up with the data rate.
5 second periods between pausing sometimes points to a high demand on hard drives (Because Windows Explorer refreshes folder contents every 5 seconds).
I really doubt that's the case for you though.

Some people may suggest that its Windows hanging, but dual core systems don't suffer as much and certainly don't hang every 5 seconds.

If it was a codec mess you would see a black video window, or an error message.
bs_pt_2007
Posted 1/2/2007 12:43 AM (#1488 - in reply to #1479)

Oddly enough it is solved just by uninstalling the codec pack, the VLC and the Cyberlink... I installed the XViD codec from Koepi and everything is fine. Then I installed ffdshow just to make sure that I had most codecs covered.

I'm not sure of what relly worked here. The 24 fps shouldn't be a problem and it isn't.

The only complaint I have right now is that in the 720p Star Wars II movie there is a scene, a turn of the camera in a very complex surrounding that seems to be stuttering but I'm pretty sure it might be the movie or the codec (with the OSD turned on in the ffdshow I can see that CPU doesn't go over 50% with utorrent running at the same time!).

From what I've read also in the afterdawn forum this is a very complex issue, the codec thing! Specially when you have lots of them installed and hopefully I've narrowed down the choice for WMP with ffdshow.

Can I make a suggestion to your codec pack? I didn't try the basic pack but with only the 2 programs I maNAGed to see everything with WMP with good sound and video quality - ffdshow and xvid from Koepi (I'm connecting the SPDIF output of my pc to my amplifier and told it to do so in the ffdshow configuration).

One last question - what do you think are the best codecs for DivX, AC3, DTS and DVD VOB files in terms of quality?

Best regards,
BS
Mattias
Posted 1/2/2007 8:14 AM (#1489 - in reply to #1477)

you now thats problem you have ther i guse it wash the Nero codec system... thats have problem with som X264 videos... have one that nero codec system did do the same way thats you explin... cyber links codecks system can have problem with som x264 Video. i say thats only so you now that i think cole lok on thias to fix a way around thats wen you installing hespacker thats CoreAVC ben use ...

sorry but may english suck hope you understand wath i am trying to say ?
Cole
Posted 1/2/2007 8:54 PM (#1490 - in reply to #1477)

Owner

Mattias:
The movie he's playing is encoded with DivX, not x264.

bs_pt_2007:
Although the XviD codec can be used to decode DivX you may find it to be unstable if you actually use the Media Center interface.
DivX's own codec is the best for decoding most DivX movies, but sometimes you'll come across files (bad or beta encodes) that work better with ffdshow.
To be realistic if you get a file encoded with DivX that won't playback using DivX then it has not been encoded properly.
By default in the advanced codec pack DivX is used to decode DivX movies, but it can be easily changed to ffdshow.
The standard codec pack only uses ffdshow.

Best codecs:
DivX for DivX 4,5,6+
ffdshow for XviD, 3ivx, DivX 3, h.263, sometimes h.264, MP43, MP42, MP41 etc.
CoreAVC for h.264 & x264
ffdshow for S/PDIF AC3/DTS
ffdshow for 4.0 & 4.1 AC3/DTS
CyberLink for AC3/DTS on headphones/Laptop speakers.
InterVideo for straight 2.0 AC3/DTS
InterVideo for DVD, VOB, SVCD
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [10 messages per page]
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete all cookies set by this site)

Seconds to generate: 0.109 | Executed queries : 30

Copyright © Cole Williams 1999 - 2024 | www.EnVision-Design.co.uk