< Click the logo to return to the main page
+ More

Google
You are currently browsing the Forums
  Add to Favourites RSS Feed Main Site Knowledgebase Forums  
Search

Forums

You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

hp pavilion5000 WinXP no DVD video play
Moderators: Cole

Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [10 messages per page]
View previous thread :: View next thread
   General discussion -> Issues / ProblemsMessage format

WmRobt
Posted 16/1/2007 7:06 PM (#1436)
Subject: hp pavilion5000 WinXP no DVD video play

After noting that there are probably more causes than fixes when something refuses to work, I've reloaded from hp distribution CDs and then from hp web page the associated dvd software more than once. Now after several weeks of failed attempts to play any commercial or other DVD I arrive here.

The machine, hp pavilion zx5369cl with Windows XP SP2. Both the windows player 11 (reinstalled from the web source) and InterVideo WinDVD 4. On InterVideo WinDVD 4 I do get an error message, //Create Overlay failed. Please lower your screen resolution or color depth and try again.// I'm sure that makes sense to someone but here it does not help. The screen resolution was lowered from 1280 X800 to 800 X600 and the same message continues. The color depth was 32 bits, and was lowered to 16 bits, the minimum possible and the same message continues. While the windows player provides sounds and no video. Normally, I consider myself capable of resolving any problem with any PC. However after I replaced the hard drive on this notebook I did something which caused this problem. Yes, it was working before.
Top of the page Bottom of the page
Link Bot
Related Links:

Bot

Cole
Posted 16/1/2007 8:02 PM (#1437 - in reply to #1436)
Subject: RE: hp pavilion5000 WinXP no DVD video play

Owner

I'd suggest that you try some video files first, not just DVD's.

If for example, DivX or XviD files play and DVD's don't then it's a filter (decoder) problem.
If no video's play at all it is very likely that you have a driver problem and/or possibly need to update DirectX.

Things to note (If not for you, for anyone having similar problems):
Don't assume that the drivers integral to Windows are anything greater than the bare essentials to allow you to install Windows.
Don't assume that the latest driver released is the best, or even functional.

WmRobt
Posted 17/1/2007 2:16 PM (#1442 - in reply to #1436)

Thanks. I did not check other than the sample video file from the hp WinXP distro. And that was with the windows player which *did* work. So, I'll try the other software with the same file, although my interest is in restoring the DVD capablity. At times I focus only on what I believe could be the problem and closeoff other posibilities. Thanks for the help and I'll be back soon.
WmRobt
Posted 19/1/2007 9:03 PM (#1448 - in reply to #1442)

Cole: Posted 17/1/2007 1:02 AM (#1437 - in reply to #1436)

>> Cole: Posted 17/1/2007 1:02 AM (#1437)
>> I'd suggest that you try some video files first, not just DVD's.

WmR: Okey, Now I have checked various other types of files including DivX / XviD files and they do play on both the windows player (11) and the InterVideo WinDVD (version 4 included with the hp distribution) and no DVD's will play, only sound. So as I believed in the beginning (and this is the reason for arriving at this site) I downloaded several filter (decoder) files believing that was the problem. Although the other than DVD videos did play I went ahead and reinstalled DirectX from the MS site.

I restarted the InterVideo WinDVD4 with different movies and still get the same until now senseless message, "Create Overlay failed. Please lower your screen resolution or color depth and try again." So I open to anyone else's suggestions. Using the windows player I get no error messages, just audio only without video.
Cole
Posted 20/1/2007 12:32 AM (#1450 - in reply to #1448)

Owner

I noticed on HP's forum that a common issue is that NetMeeting is open in the systray, it uses DirectDraw overlay for its video window, preventing other applications creating a video overlay.

Another issue is that DirectDraw is sometimes disabled by some programs.
To check click start and goto "Run", type "dxdiag", then click on the "Display" tab at the top, you should then see what options are enabled for your graphics card and if required enable DirectDraw.

I ask people to try multiple video types because a huge number of people post messages like "Video's wont play", when in fact they've only tried one file, or just one type.
Often it turns out that people have downloaded fake files that are not even video's, broken files, or, in the case of DVD's they have not set their DVD region, are trying to play a copy protected disc or have faulty hardware.
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [10 messages per page]
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete all cookies set by this site)

Seconds to generate: 0.063 | Executed queries : 10

Copyright © Cole Williams 1999 - 2024 | www.EnVision-Design.co.uk