< Click the logo to return to the main page
+ More

Google
You are currently browsing the Forums
  Add to Favourites RSS Feed Main Site Knowledgebase Forums  
Search

Forums

You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

free codecs for WMP10 and Windows MCE?
Moderators: Cole

Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [10 messages per page]
View previous thread :: View next thread
   General discussion -> Issues / ProblemsMessage format

rkleemann
Posted 19/7/2006 6:36 AM (#1215)
Subject: free codecs for WMP10 and Windows MCE?

Hi,

I've been searching around for codecs in order to be able to play DVD and also watch live TV in Windows MCE.

I have a hauppauge PVR-150MCE, but I wasn't aware that a software decoder needs to be purchased simply to watch live TV inside Windows MCE.

I was originally using hauppauge in linux with MythTV, but now I've installed MCE and I guess I'm stuck... :-/

I tried installing ffdshow and other codec packs but nothing is working for either WMP10 or MCE. The error I get with WMP10 is digital copyright error (even though I'm trying to play a legit DVD).

In MCE I simply get decode error, I'm guessing that my PVR-150 won't work with MCE until I install a software decoder.

Are there any alternatives?

Thanks
Ricardo
Top of the page Bottom of the page
Link Bot
Related Links:

Bot

Cole
Posted 20/7/2006 1:39 AM (#1216 - in reply to #1215)
Subject: RE: free codecs for WMP10 and Windows MCE?

Owner

Hi,

Re: MCE itself
Firstly make sure you have the minimum spec hardware, many people install it on incompatible PC's and then proceed to blame software.
Compatible graphics cards such as nVidia GeForce FX5200, ATI Radeon 9000, S3 Unichrome, or higher are recommended (Graphics cards are the most regular shortcomings for people).
Processors suggested are AMD Athlon XP and higher (Not Durons), Intel Pentium 3 and higher (Not Celerons), some processors will still work with it even if they arent the suggested spec, but will not work very well.

Re: Codecs
The advanced codec pack featured on the main site works with MCE (You should uninstall any previous codec packs and restart your PC before installing another).

Re: Copyright notice
Even when a DVD is legit it will often feature copy protection which can block playback on PC's, an easy way around it is to install a program called AnyDVD (it ignores most forms of protection).

Side comment for ffdshow
ffdshow is not intended for DVD/SVCD/VCD/MPEG-2 playback, it has the possibility to, but isn't fully functional.
ffdshow is often used for MP4/h.264/x264/DivX/XviD playback, for which it is extremely useful.

Hope that helps.
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [10 messages per page]
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete all cookies set by this site)

Seconds to generate: 0.078 | Executed queries : 10

Copyright © Cole Williams 1999 - 2024 | www.EnVision-Design.co.uk