< Click the logo to return to the main page
+ More

Google
You are currently browsing the Forums
  Add to Favourites RSS Feed Main Site Knowledgebase Forums  
Search

Forums

You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

Updates to post 1110, codecs
Moderators: Cole

Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [10 messages per page]
View previous thread :: View next thread
   General discussion -> Issues / ProblemsMessage format

gemigene
Posted 17/5/2006 3:37 PM (#1119)
Subject: Updates to post 1110, codecs

Hi,

I'm having problems burning audio CD's using Nero Express OEM (coasters). Everything was OK for a while but for the past 3 weeks I've only been having problems (after installing and uninstalling various audio and video players and kept VLC, this proggie plays anything you throw at it) The last few CD's I burned, I used complete albums (in MP3 format) ripped at the same constant bitrate (160). Problem is that when I try them in my home system, I get a "no disk" error on the display and if I press play, the sound comes out quite distorted. I thought that installing an ASPI layer would help so I installed Adaptec's layer (V. 4.60) with no change. Funny thing though, these "coasters" play without distortion on my computer's CD drive (with errors but still...). Could it be something that interferes with Nero's "lead-in and lead-out" routine? . I read on one of the posts that when you have a lot of codecs installed, they may conflict with one another. I downloaded "DxManager" and it lists a bunch of codecs. Should I delete all of them (using DxMan) and use one of the codec packs to replace them? If so, which one would you recommend?

I'm running WinXP with SP2 and BTW, I unintalled and reinstalled Nero and the problem persists.

Thanks,
Gemigene

Update: I uninstalled Nero again and burned a CD using Burrrn (freeware audio burner), loaded it on my CD player and it took several seconds to find the tracks and the sound quality was still lousy. I then reloaded Nero, made a disk copy of a store-bought CD and it that also played bad. Mind you, if I use Nero to burn data (programs, jpg's, etc.) on a disk, everything is fine... Dunno what to do any more. Would disabling XP's built-in burning feature help?

Update 2: As a troubleshooting method, is it still a good idea to remove all of my codecs (manually or using XpManager) and start from fresh? As I mentioned before, everyhing was OK for a while then it all went to hell in a basket. I even thought that my burner was faulty so I echaged it (still under warranty) and this didn't fix anything.

Almost makes me want to reformat my HD and install XP but without SP2, seems that SP2 causes a lot of problems which I never had before. BTW, can XP's built-in burning application interfere with others? Also, when I ran GSpot, it showed DivX problems (video rendering). I downloaded the latest version of DivX, installed it and GSpot doesn't seem to know it's there, it still tells me that I should install DivX 5...

Update 3: I used Nero to burn an AVI movie on a CDR-W and it plays just as good as if I was reading it from my hard drive9Using VLC). So, I assume that my problem is only with burning audio CD's from MP3's...

Any ideas?
Gemigene
Top of the page Bottom of the page
Link Bot
Related Links:

Bot

Cole
Posted 18/5/2006 7:04 PM (#1122 - in reply to #1119)
Subject: RE: Updates to post 1110, codecs

Owner

Software related:

A possible problem is DirectX, normally I wouldn't expect it to effect Nero but it has been known to effect WinOnCD and a few others.

Another possible problem could be that one of the uninstalled players made an alteration to make Windows treat particular files differently, this can often be cured by re-installing Windows Media Player.

Hardware related:

You should not assume that because your PC will play the discs that it burns everything is ok.
Writers are far more capable of reading the discs they burn than any other form of hardware.
If you burn a disc too quickly it will have errors, if you burn it too slowly it may also have errors.
Data CDROM's and audio CD's have different forms of error correction, Data CDROM's have a far lower chance of generating errors, so a comparison cannot be accurate.
Cole
Posted 18/5/2006 7:24 PM (#1123 - in reply to #1119)

Owner

I havent responded to your questions first because I think you should focus on curing your burning problem rather than continue to uninstall and install more things.

Yes it's a good idea to uninstall old codecs and replace them with a new pack.

DXManager is giving you misleading information because it's an old application, the same applies to GSpot, however GSpot is quite useful for most of the problems that occur with not so old formats.

It is a possibility that SP2 is causing you problems but to be honest there are a huge number of people that blame "User Errors" on SP2.
A huge number of applications wouldn't work with SP2 when it first came out, but this is no longer a problem because most software vendors have updated.

Disabling XP's onboard burning ability may be an idea, but I'd expect any problem it could cause would be supressed by Nero.

If you're using VLC player so much you will opening files on the basis that something is always broken (it's a bit like carrying around a coffin all day just incase you die), if that's the case then you should consider formatting and re-install Windows.
VLC player will not show error messages that other players would.
gemigene
Posted 21/5/2006 3:44 PM (#1141 - in reply to #1122)

Cole - 18/5/2006 7:04 PM

Software related:

A possible problem is DirectX, normally I wouldn't expect it to effect Nero but it has been known to effect WinOnCD and a few others.

Another possible problem could be that one of the uninstalled players made an alteration to make Windows treat particular files differently, this can often be cured by re-installing Windows Media Player.

Hardware related:

You should not assume that because your PC will play the discs that it burns everything is ok.
Writers are far more capable of reading the discs they burn than any other form of hardware.
If you burn a disc too quickly it will have errors, if you burn it too slowly it may also have errors.
Data CDROM's and audio CD's have different forms of error correction, Data CDROM's have a far lower chance of generating errors, so a comparison cannot be accurate.[/QUOTE]

Hi, thanks for the response.

I had uninstalled Windows Media Player and now re-installed it. I will reload Nero tomorrow and let you know what's going on (without InCD). I'll also try burning with WMP and see what happens. I susually burn at 16X, is that good?

Gemigene
gemigene
Posted 21/5/2006 3:49 PM (#1142 - in reply to #1123)

Cole - 18/5/2006 7:24 PM

I havent responded to your questions first because I think you should focus on curing your burning problem rather than continue to uninstall and install more things.

Yes it's a good idea to uninstall old codecs and replace them with a new pack.

DXManager is giving you misleading information because it's an old application, the same applies to GSpot, however GSpot is quite useful for most of the problems that occur with not so old formats.

It is a possibility that SP2 is causing you problems but to be honest there are a huge number of people that blame "User Errors" on SP2.
A huge number of applications wouldn't work with SP2 when it first came out, but this is no longer a problem because most software vendors have updated.

Disabling XP's onboard burning ability may be an idea, but I'd expect any problem it could cause would be supressed by Nero.

If you're using VLC player so much you will opening files on the basis that something is always broken (it's a bit like carrying around a coffin all day just incase you die), if that's the case then you should consider formatting and re-install Windows.
VLC player will not show error messages that other players would.[/QUOTE]

Yeah, you're right, maybe installing and removing all kinds of rippers, encoders, players, et. could be my problem, thanks teach :-)

About codecs, you say it's a good idea to remove and replace them with newer versions, do I do this manually or is there some kind of utility that can help me do that?

Cripes, I sure as heck want to avoid formatting my HD and re-install everything once again, what a nightmare...

Thanks Cole, I really appreciate it.
Gemigene
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [10 messages per page]
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete all cookies set by this site)

Seconds to generate: 0.093 | Executed queries : 10

Copyright © Cole Williams 1999 - 2024 | www.EnVision-Design.co.uk