< Click the logo to return to the main page
+ More

Google
You are currently browsing the Forums
  Add to Favourites RSS Feed Main Site Knowledgebase Forums  
Search

Forums

You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

audio, no video on DVD playback (subpicture error msg)
Moderators: Cole

Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [10 messages per page]
View previous thread :: View next thread
   General discussion -> Issues / ProblemsMessage format

gluetown
Posted 3/3/2006 11:19 PM (#1008)
Subject: audio, no video on DVD playback (subpicture error msg)

Hi
When I put in a DVD, I get the following error message:

While settup up DVD-Video playback it was found that * Subpicture will not be available during playback.

Do you want to continue?

[yes] [no]

When I choose yes, the DVD will play, but with no picture. I can even go to "menu", click "enter", and the default selection of the DVD menu (play all, play movie, etc.) will begin.

When I choose no, nothing happens.

This I installed 6.0.4 standard, am running Win2K, and have WMP 9.00.00.3344. Sorry if this is a really obvious problem, but I haven't been able to figure it out yet.

I noticed in the help file for DVD playback to go to programs -> accessories -> entertainment -> dvd player. But under entertainment I just have basic stuff (WMP, Cd player, real player, sound control, sound recorder). Don't know if that's the cause of the problem or what.

Any help is much appreciated.
Top of the page Bottom of the page
Link Bot
Related Links:

Bot

Cole
Posted 6/3/2006 7:22 PM (#1010 - in reply to #1008)
Subject: RE: audio, no video on DVD playback (subpicture error msg)

Owner

Sub picture errors can often be caused by copy protection, you havent stated if the problem occurs with just one DVD or with many DVD's.
gluetown
Posted 8/3/2006 6:01 PM (#1014 - in reply to #1008)

Thanks for your response. : )

Apologies... I've tried it with a number of DVDs from different studios (production companies? whatever they are) to see if it was specific to a certain one, but after trying almost 10, I get the same error msg with all.

I tried installing a different media package (sorry... no offense intended : ) on a different computer I have, thinking perhaps it was a hardware issue on my end. But I received the same error message. So the problem definitely is not your software, but something on my end instead.

To be sure, I have divx videos which work fine.

Both machines are running Win 2K, both are older IBM aptivas... one has an Nvidia riva 128/128zx graphics card and the other is S3 savage 4. Original OS for both was Win98, but both have been reformatted. Could this be a driver issue?

Thanks again for your response.
Cole
Posted 8/3/2006 6:56 PM (#1016 - in reply to #1008)

Owner

Try installing DVD43, it removes copy protection when trying to play DVD's http://www.afterdawn.com/software/video_software/dvd_rippers/dvd43....
I think the chances of you having 10 well protected DVD's in a row is fairly slim but its worth ruling out.
gluetown
Posted 8/3/2006 10:01 PM (#1017 - in reply to #1008)

That site said it was no longer available for download. I searched around and I believe I found it elsewhere. (If it runs as dvd43_tray.exe in task manager, then I got it. Otherwise, I got something else, but I'm pretty sure it's the same.)

Still no luck unfortunately. Tried 3 different DVDs this time... but always foiled by the subpicture message There's full functionality with menus, rewind, all the buttons. Everything's great... just no picture.
Cole
Posted 10/3/2006 11:24 AM (#1019 - in reply to #1008)

Owner

I'll try a few things and get back to you on this one
gluetown
Posted 19/3/2006 11:09 PM (#1027 - in reply to #1008)

Sorry I didn't check back here sooner. Really, I stumbled onto your software when looking for a friend who needed a DVd decoder. I wanted to install on my system to check it out before installing it on hers, but when I did install it for her (Hp laptop running XP) it worked perfectly.

So, I no longer really need resolution on this problem. My laptop has WinDVD I usually watch DVDs on the TV anyhow. So I really don't have a pressing need to get this working on my desktop. Like I said earlier, everything else about the program runs fine for me (my divx videos work great).

I guess what I'm getting at is that this problem is really academic at this point, for me anyhow. (Hence the sorry I didn't check back here sooner.)

Anyhow... your help was tremendous. If you still want me to try solutions out for you (if you just want to know for future reference or whatnot), I'm more than willing. Thanks again.
Cole
Posted 20/3/2006 1:45 AM (#1028 - in reply to #1008)

Owner

I have come up with a possible solution, which is to replace the subtitle filter that WinDVD is using on your system.
What has been really odd with your problem is that it's been attempting to load, but I assume you havent got the player set to load subtitles all the time.

Attached to this post is IVISubtitle.ax, use "Search/For Files or Folders" to locate the older one(s) and simply place the attached version in it's location (Allow it to overwrite).

----------------------------------------------------------

If the option above fails:

Uninstall the codec pack,
Uninstall WinDVD,
Restart your PC (essential),

Install WinDVD,
Install the codec pack (use expert mode, expand and unselect any DVD and TV capture filters).
This will have the effect of restoring all matching file versions for WinDVD and stop any newer versions from my package conflicting.

Sorry for the late reply, I was trying to replicate your problem, but couldn't get the same error message.

Attachments
----------------
Attachments IVISubtitle.ax (112KB - 292 downloads)
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [10 messages per page]
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete all cookies set by this site)

Seconds to generate: 0.078 | Executed queries : 11

Copyright © Cole Williams 1999 - 2024 | www.EnVision-Design.co.uk