< Click the logo to return to the main page
+ More

Google
You are currently browsing the Forums
  Add to Favourites RSS Feed Main Site Knowledgebase Forums  
Search

Forums

You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

Windows Media Center/ NVTV
Moderators: Cole

Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [10 messages per page]
View previous thread :: View next thread
   General discussion -> Issues / ProblemsMessage format

utilityman
Posted 24/2/2006 3:19 PM (#987)
Subject: Windows Media Center/ NVTV

I just received my computer back from the tech who built it. He claims that the Cole2k.Media.-.Codec.Pack.V6.0.3.-Advanced that I had installed was causing Windows XP Media Center Edition to give me the "bad-pool-header" blue screen and restart when I would try to setup or view live TV. He uninstalled the pack and restored the Nvidia drivers. The NVTV TV card (eVGA.com) now works, but it is jumpy or has hesitations in playback. He claims the only way to completely repair the problem and get all the drivers to where they belong would be to format the drive and reinstall windows. Are you aware of this problem and do you have any suggestions.

I've recomended and installed your packs for years on many different computers and have never had any problems.
Top of the page Bottom of the page
Link Bot
Related Links:

Bot

Cole
Posted 25/2/2006 6:29 AM (#994 - in reply to #987)
Subject: RE: Windows Media Center/ NVTV

Owner

Hi, the bad pool error is hardware related and not related to codecs, but by removing codecs and crippling hardware accelerated playback the problem can be hidden (thats basically what that techie has done).

If the system has been upgraded from another TV card:
He's probably correct that the best option would be to format the system, because most likely causes are driver conflicts caused by hardware that is similar to older hardware that has been installed on the system at some point (MPEG2 hardware accelerator very likely).

Are you using the dual tuner card and are you using another application for capture rather than MCE's recording feature?
utilityman
Posted 27/2/2006 9:34 AM (#997 - in reply to #987)

It's not a dual tuner card and I'm only using MCE's applications. Because of a bad hard drive, everything was reinstalled just two weeks ago. The bad-pool-error would come up when I was setting up the TV tuner before ever getting to the record feature. Other than MCE with updates and the Cole2kmedia codec pack, the only other video related applications are the Nvidia DVD Decoder that came with the TV card and the Nvidia drivers for the GeForce 6800GT (PCI Exp x16 video bios ver 5.40.02.30.03). The processor is the AMD Athlon 64 x2 dual core 4400+ and teh motherboard is a Micro-star International Co MS-7125.

The Tech claims that one of the codecs that the pack changed caused the problems. I think it may have something to do with the DVD decoder. He uninstalled the codec pack and reinstalled and updated the Nvidia nForceWin2KXP drivers (ver 6.70), but since some of the drivers are dated earlier than the codec pack, he believes they are not all being changed to the same version, causing the hesitation problem (picture eventually freezes after it's been running for a while). I've checked and it does not appear that there has been any change in the video hardware acceleration.

I had brought the computer to him believing as you said that the problem was with the hardware (and still under warrantee). But he was sure it was the codec pack as he's seen this conflict often with MCE and many third party codec installations, including the cole2kmedia codec pack. In most every case they format and reinstall Windows, but I'm sure this is because that takes less time than fixing the problem. Then it's up to me to reinstall my applications and restore my data files.

It would be great if you had any other suggestions other than formatting.
Thank you
utilityman
Posted 27/2/2006 11:39 AM (#998 - in reply to #987)

I don't know if this additional info will help or not but I notice that live TV runs for about 5-6 minutes, then starts skipping and dropping back from real time, then freezes. I can forward to real time, but in less than a minute it starts skipping and freezes shortly thereafter. If I leave it frozen long enough I can't bring it back.
Cole
Posted 27/2/2006 3:19 PM (#999 - in reply to #987)

Owner

First I'll clear up one thing to help you a little, the codec packs don't include or alter any graphics card or capture card drivers, or any DirectX components which could affect graphics cards or capture cards.

From your last post there is another possible problem which may be caused by the output of the card, so I've come up with a method which should resolve everything for you as follows:

1. Uninstall the codec pack and restart your PC (Restarting is essential).
2. Install the nVidia DVD decoder package.
3. Install the codec pack with the following alterations:

Choose the expert installation method,
Expand the DVD & DVB filters section and click "Select None",
Expand the DVB & TV Capture filters section and unselect any filters in there,
Continue through the advanced options (Leave them as they are) until you've completed the installation.

That should work perfectly for you.
utilityman
Posted 28/2/2006 11:50 AM (#1002 - in reply to #987)

Thanks for the suggestion. While this process avoided the bad-pool-header blue screen of death it did not solve the stuttering and stopping problem. It almost appears to be a buffering problem, but I have 215GB of free space and the disk is not fragmented. I've noted that ehshell.exe fluctuated between 1 and 8%, but goes to 0% when it locks up. Changing the affinity to just one CPU and giving it highest priority did not help

I found a page that suggested the problem was related to the mpeg2 decoder. (http://www.optima.com.au/kb/000027.asp). Note having Cyberlink products installed, I did not run their updates.

Another site suggested to check the registry keys and I found some cyberlink keys attached to MCE. (must be from the tech). I deleted these.

The picture still is stuttering and falling behind real time and eventually stalling. Let me know if I can provide any additional nfo that may help.
utilityman
Posted 28/2/2006 12:31 PM (#1003 - in reply to #987)

UPDATE: Just found out that by running Microsoft Update in Custom mode, it found an update for Windows Media Center. This seems to have done the trick. Details of the update are as follows:

Update Rollup for Windows XP Media Center Edition 2005 (KB912067)
Install this update to resolve video issues in Windows XP Media Center 2005. This update rollup addresses issues with suspend/resume, video freezes and black screens on machines with Update Rollup 2 for Windows XP Media Center Edition 2005 installed. After you install this item, you may have to restart your computer.
utilityman
Posted 28/2/2006 1:08 PM (#1004 - in reply to #987)

Sorry for another update. I may have jumped the gun, as the video is beginning to stutter again. It falls so far behind that the audio cuts out, but it's not freezing anymore. It's better, but not what it should be.
Cole
Posted 2/3/2006 5:44 AM (#1005 - in reply to #987)

Owner

There is a fairly recent driver for the card that you may wish to try (certified by Microsoft) here:
http://download.nvidia.com/Windows/nvtv/1.20.45/1.20.45_nvtv_winxp_...
There is also a recent nVidia ForceWare unified driver for your graphics card (certified by Microsoft) here:
http://download.nvidia.com/Windows/mce/81.98/81.98_forceware_winxpm...
I think it's worth a try considering the techie used old drivers.

You may also wish to try updating DirectX to a newer revision (software developer version instead of mainstream release)
December 2005 release (considered stable):
http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/details.aspx?FamilyId=3F2828FA-0...
February 2006 release (unproven yet):
http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/details.aspx?familyid=FFF5ED7D-3...
If you don't wish to download the full package there are links near the bottom of the pages for the "Web Setup" versions.

It may be worth while trying the method without any DVD/DVB filters or TV capture filters from my package and use the nVidia decoder package for its DVD/DVB filters.

Other than that it may be time to look a little more in depth at further possible causes.
Other causes can be:
An incompatibility with the motherboard chipset (very rare these days).
Not enough power from the PSU (causes a progressive loss through load).
Poor TV signal (can cause dropped frames, or a signal loop and blue screen).

Also consider that there may be a fault with the card because nVidia hardware is not normally so troublesom.
utilityman
Posted 3/3/2006 1:18 PM (#1007 - in reply to #987)

No luck. I'll keep an eye out for more updates and try formating and reinstalling MCE when I get a chance. Everything else apperas to be working OK.
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [10 messages per page]
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete all cookies set by this site)

Seconds to generate: 0.109 | Executed queries : 29

Copyright © Cole Williams 1999 - 2024 | www.EnVision-Design.co.uk