< Click the logo to return to the main page
+ More

Google
You are currently browsing the Forums
  Add to Favourites RSS Feed Main Site Knowledgebase Forums  
Search

Forums

You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

DVD player won't work
Moderators: Cole

Jump to page : 1 2 3
Now viewing page 2 [10 messages per page]
View previous thread :: View next thread
   General discussion -> Issues / ProblemsMessage format

Cole
Posted 19/5/2006 8:08 AM (#1128 - in reply to #975)
Subject: RE: DVD player won't work

Owner

The file should open with regedit and no you don't need to uninstall or install the pack again.
Top of the page Bottom of the page
Link Bot
Related Links:

Bot

ally
Posted 19/5/2006 12:37 PM (#1129 - in reply to #975)

Ok, I'm aware I'm asking you too much questions, so if you could just tell me how to restore the original cofiguration once I uninstall the pack I would be very thankful. I'm quite lost here and, even though I would like to have the pack, I think it's easier not to have it in the laptop.

Thank you very much for all your help.
Cole
Posted 19/5/2006 8:40 PM (#1130 - in reply to #975)

Owner

Just give the patch attached a try, it's the same as the registry patch but in a .exe file which you wont have problems opening.

Attachments
----------------
Attachments Cole2k Media - Codec Pack V6.0.6 - CyberLink Patch 20060520.exe (30KB - 226 downloads)
ally
Posted 20/5/2006 7:57 AM (#1133 - in reply to #975)

Nope, it doesn't work. I mean, I can open the file and all that, but dvds still don't work.

Thanks again for all your help. I really appreciate it.
Cole
Posted 20/5/2006 8:08 AM (#1134 - in reply to #975)

Owner

I think I know what part of your problem is.
I'll take a wild guess that you've installed a DVD player like WinDVD or PowerDVD and thats taken over playback of the actual DVD's.
Even if you've uninstalled such a player it will have left a little trail behind.

At the top of Windows Media Player right click the top bar and select "Show Menu Bar", then click "Tools" followed by "Options", in the options dialogue select "File Types" and make sure "DVD Video" is ticked.
ally
Posted 20/5/2006 3:41 PM (#1136 - in reply to #975)

Yep, it is ticked. I have InterVideo WinDVD installed, and it worked fine, now it opens but doesn't play the DVDs. Now I can only play them with Windows Media, but the image has a bad quality, it's like the videos you download from the internet.

I don't know if this helps, but I download the "Video Decoder Chek up utility" from microsoft website, when I first found out I couldn't play the DVDs, and it said I didn't have any MPEG-2 decoder installed. Now it says I have the CyberLink Video/SP Decoder, and I have set it as preferred, but nothing has changed.
Cole
Posted 20/5/2006 4:14 PM (#1137 - in reply to #975)

Owner

Can I just have a little more information to clear things up a bit.
Can you tell me if you're running Windows XP or Windows XP Media Center.
The preferred feature is usually for Media Center thats all.

You're also going round in circles a little, CyberLinks decoders do not work in WinDVD and InterVideo WinDVD's decoders don't work on your laptop.
CyberLink's decoders are of a lower quality than InterVideo's, the main difference is the hardware required to use the CyberLink ones is lower.
You may wish to uninstall WinDVD and install CyberLink's PowerDVD instead.
ally
Posted 20/5/2006 6:29 PM (#1138 - in reply to #975)

Of course, ask as many things as you want.
As far as I know, I have Windows XP. I had never before heard about this "preferred feature" but I thought it could help to apply the CyberLink since when I checked before there were no MPEG-2 decoder.

InterVideo WinDVD worked fine until I install the pack, so my guess (from a completely ignorant position) is that when I install the pack, it changed something in the cofiguration that blocked (or erase or something) what made DVDs work with WinDVD (and with any other program).
If it's possible, I would like to keep using WinDVD (especially if I'd have more quality with it).

I don't know if I'm answering your questions right. Ask again if I have left something behind.

I'm very sorry I'm bothering you so much.
Cole
Posted 20/5/2006 8:33 PM (#1139 - in reply to #975)

Owner

You can re-install WinDVD which will get you back to being able to play DVD's, there is no need to uninstall the codec pack to do so as it won't conflict.

You're right that the codec pack does alter WinDVD settings (When the InterVideo decoders are selected) but it won't normally stop playback, however it is possible that your laptop is only friendly with certain versions of WinDVD and/or it's decoders.

You may feel that this problem has been ongoing and tedious, but this forum thread will probably prove to be very helpful to other people.
I'm not sure if I can put any error checking in my packs to test for this problem but will look into it.
ally
Posted 21/5/2006 12:44 PM (#1140 - in reply to #975)

Well, I can't do it right now becasue I don't have the install CDs with me (long story, I'm studying abroad this year), but I'll do it as soon as I get the CD and I'll let you know what happens (don't think if I have forgotten if I don't post soon, probably I won't be able to do it until the end of June).

I was very surprised when all this happened because I have installed your codec packs in my computer more than once and I never had any problems with them, so that's why I didn't thought I could have any problem in the laptop.

Thank you very much for all your help. I know I have been asking questions everyday for a few days now, and I know it's not easy to solve this kind of problems without checking the computer by yourself, so thanks again for being so patient.

I'll get back to you as soon as I re-install WinDVD.
Jump to page : 1 2 3
Now viewing page 2 [10 messages per page]
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete all cookies set by this site)

Seconds to generate: 0.093 | Executed queries : 11

Copyright © Cole Williams 1999 - 2024 | www.EnVision-Design.co.uk