< Click the logo to return to the main page
+ More

Google
You are currently browsing the Forums
  Add to Favourites RSS Feed Main Site Knowledgebase Forums  
Search

Forums

You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

DVD player won't work
Moderators: Cole

Jump to page : 1 2 3
Now viewing page 1 [10 messages per page]
View previous thread :: View next thread
   General discussion -> Issues / ProblemsMessage format

ruptures
Posted 21/2/2006 12:31 AM (#975)
Subject: DVD player won't work

Hi,

I downloaded and installed 6.0.4 today onto my girlfriend's laptop (ack!) in Windows XP. We had been using WMP 9 to view DVDs, and it has always worked fine. After installation the audio from DVD was fine but the video was unwatchably jerky.

In trying to think of what might have gone wrong I remembered the installer recommending any previous codec packs be uninstalled before installation, and I hadn't realized that DivX was already on there. Thinking (okay, I am pretty much completely ignorant about this stuff if you can't tell already) they might be interfering with each other's operation, I uninstalled DivX and restarted. The problem didn't go away. So I uninstalled the 6.0.4 pack... and boom! I can no longer view DVD video at all.

The drive still plays CDs fine, and WMP plays videos fine (mpegs, wmv, etc). But trying to play a DVD gives me a generic "Windows Media Player is currently unable to play DVD video. Try decreasing the number of colors displayed on your monitor or decreasing the screen resolution..." error message. Reducing colors didn't help. Neither did superstitiously re-installing DivX. I'm being proactive about restarting after each step or just for fun.

Any idea what's happened here? I've looked at some of the other threads in this forum and you seem to say that these codecs don't change much in the system, but it's clear that something happened along the way. Frustrating. Any advice would be greatly appreciated... especially, as I said, since it's not exactly my computer to mess up ...
Top of the page Bottom of the page
Link Bot
Related Links:

Bot

Cole
Posted 21/2/2006 4:33 AM (#976 - in reply to #975)
Subject: RE: DVD player won't work

Owner

Hi, some PC's, especially laptops don't get along with the idea of using the InterVideo MPEG2/DVD filters in the package (the default filters) because of graphics limitations.

To get around it you can use the CyberLink DVD/DVB filters instead as follows:

Uninstall the pack, restart your computer and then run the codec pack installer again, select expert installation, then in the components page you'll see a drop down list with MPEG2/DVD/DVB profiles.
Simply select "CyberLink DVD/DVB" and leave all other options as they are for any other settings and components, once installed playback should be ok.

Hope that helps, if you continue to have problems just post back.
ruptures
Posted 21/2/2006 8:47 AM (#981 - in reply to #975)

Thanks for the speedy response! Great service.

I did as you said but it made the situation worse. Now when I try to start a DVD it crashes the system (a blue screen with white writing flashes too quickly for me to read, and then it automatically reboots). I did this twice to make sure it wasn't a fluke.

I don't doubt that there's something else wrong with this computer, but I'd settle for getting it back to where it was 24 hours ago... if you have any idea what's going on here please let me know... thanks
Cole
Posted 22/2/2006 1:56 AM (#983 - in reply to #975)

Owner

Ok, I've done a quick registry patch for the CyberLink filters which will disable some modes that the laptop may not support, with any luck it should cure it.
Simply download and run the file (you'll get a prompt asking to merge with the registry, click ok), it may be worth restarting the PC but not absolutely necessary.

Attachments
----------------
Attachments CyberLink VSD Patch 22022006.reg (0KB - 304 downloads)
ruptures
Posted 22/2/2006 8:42 PM (#986 - in reply to #975)

Cole,

That was all it needed. Thank you!

Needless to say I will be recommending your products to others in the future.
ally
Posted 18/5/2006 12:59 PM (#1120 - in reply to #975)

Hi,

I have downloaded and installed the codec pack V6.0.6 adavanced in my laptop and I'm having the same problems Ruptures had: the DVDs don't work with Intervideo WinDVD and with Windows Media the video is really crappy (with one DVD I couldn't even see anything, it was all black).

I have done some research and I think it's something about the MPEG-2 decoder, but I don't know much about computers so I don't know what to do. I tried uninstall the pack but it didn't help.

What can I do? Please help me out here, I'm really disoriented
Cole
Posted 18/5/2006 6:41 PM (#1121 - in reply to #975)

Owner

The problem with laptops is that they often have fairly weak graphics adaptors that are not compatible with the InterVideo codecs that are installed by default.

Here's a solution:

Uninstall the pack, restart you computer (you MUST do this), run the installer again and make sure you select the expert installation option, when you see the components menu select "CyberLink DVD/DVB" from the drop down list and click next etc.
ally
Posted 18/5/2006 8:31 PM (#1124 - in reply to #975)

Hi again,

First of all, thanks for answering so fast.

I have just done what you told me but it's still not working. Nothing else is different either (everything else is working fine). Well, actually there's something different (I'm not sure if it's related to th eothe rthing or not): in Windows Media, it doesn't change to full screen mode by double-clicking on the screen, I have to click on the button. I don't know if that helps.

Anyway, thanks for your help. I'm open to any other suggestion
Cole
Posted 19/5/2006 6:18 AM (#1125 - in reply to #975)

Owner

I've attached a registry patch which will make sure your settings are correct for the CyberLink decoders, simply download it and execute it, when it asks if you wish to merge it with the registry click "Yes".

As for the screen resize problem... That is usually caused when a DirectShow instance has already been initialised (in plain english Windows thinks you already have a video window open), it normally happens when you have thumbnails and/or the preview pane enabled in a folder that you're browsing.
Right click in the folder and select "View/List", if you have the preview pane enabled right click in the folder and select "Customize This Folder", click "Next", "Next" and select "Classic (icons only)" followed by "Next" and "Finish".

Attachments
----------------
Attachments CyberLink VSD Patch 19052006.reg (0KB - 202 downloads)
ally
Posted 19/5/2006 7:59 AM (#1127 - in reply to #975)

Hi Again,

I don't know why, but I'm asked which program I want to use to open the patch, the laptop doesn't recognizes it as an .exe file. Am I doing something wrong? Should I uninstall and then install the pack again?
Jump to page : 1 2 3
Now viewing page 1 [10 messages per page]
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete all cookies set by this site)

Seconds to generate: 0.093 | Executed queries : 13

Copyright © Cole Williams 1999 - 2024 | www.EnVision-Design.co.uk