< Click the logo to return to the main page
+ More

Google
You are currently browsing the Forums
  Add to Favourites RSS Feed Main Site Knowledgebase Forums  
Search

Forums

You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

DTS wav playback problems
Moderators: Cole

Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [10 messages per page]
View previous thread :: View next thread
   General discussion -> Issues / ProblemsMessage format

skabais
Posted 13/1/2006 12:25 PM (#893)
Subject: DTS wav playback problems

my specs:
Audigy ZS is set on S/PDIF passthrough
I have Logitech Z5500 speaker system which has built in decoder/receiver
I use PowerDVD player to listen to the files

problem:
I recently came up on audio files which are labeled as DTS
some of those are as separate wav tracks, some are as audio cd images

some of those audio image files I can listen in proper DTS format (also indicated by my decoder)

however most of the images and all of Wav files I cant listen in dts format
althogh desoder indicates that it is dts stream - I can just hear very unpleasant jerky noise :(

is there some way to come around this problem?

I can trick that problem and listen to the files through MplayerClassic, but then decoder indicates that it is receiving PCM 2/0 96 stream instead of DTS digital
and decoder emulates 5.1 sound

Top of the page Bottom of the page
Link Bot
Related Links:

Bot

Cole
Posted 13/1/2006 1:55 PM (#894 - in reply to #893)
Subject: RE: DTS wav playback problems

Owner

Hi, DTS wav files are quite different from raw DTS files, many people have been downloading samples from:
http://www.sr.se/multikanal/english/e_index.stm
but often don't read the instructions here:
http://www.sr.se/multikanal/english/e_steg.stm

A DTS or Dolby Digital wav file can often only be played correctly through a home DVD player, WinDVD or PowerDVD (if the files have been burned to CDR as Audio), the actual files on their own are almost useless.

A way to play DTS wav's on PC's directly is to use ffdshow's audio decoder which can check for DTS in a wav files and then decode it (rarely works).

Seperate wav files for each track eg. FL, Center, FR, RR, RL & Sub should not be confused with being DTS or AC3, they're simply seperate tracks and not actually encoded, they can be encoded to 1 file using Minnetonka SurCode http://www.minnetonkaaudio.com/products/products.html.
skabais
Posted 14/1/2006 1:10 AM (#895 - in reply to #893)

ty for quick answer

your answer cleared one issue - I cant playback wav files "as is" from hdd
I have to write them into cd-r (or image file?!)

BUT!

I would like to hear your comment on the second issue which I mentioned..

maybe I was not clear enough, I will repeat:
I have got a small collection of dts cd images in bin, nrg and img format - majority of which I cant playback properly (see previous post by me)

however - there are two exceptions..
one of them is nrg (nero image file) and one is img (clonecd image file)
I load them with Daemon tools (virtual cd emulation progam)
and I can playback them in proper DTS perfectly fine (with PowerDVD)

do you have any comments about this? why this doesnt work with other images which I have got? (among them are other nrg anf img format images) is this just some weird glitch whith those two image files?

p.s. could you also please comment on this info from sr.se website:
"b) It is also possible to play the multichannel soundfile directly from your harddisc if your computer is equipped with a soundcard that has an digital output."

Edited by skabais 14/1/2006 1:18 AM
Cole
Posted 14/1/2006 1:51 AM (#896 - in reply to #893)

Owner

Sorry I assumed when you mentioned images you meant wav files with cue sheets to emulate iso's, disc images eg. iso, bin, img, nrg, cdi are all fairly unreliable for imaging audio and in a lot of cases people don't do them correctly.
You may need to get cue sheets for the images incase the files are required to be handled in a particular way.

As for the information from sr.se regarding direct playback from the hard drive with output to S/PDIF, it's not completely correct, you can play some files back using the method I've stated with ffdshow via S/PDIF, or you can try playing them back using VLCPlayer via S/PDIF.
skabais
Posted 14/1/2006 8:01 AM (#897 - in reply to #893)

all images which I have - does come with cue sheets (for example clonecd img comes with two files ccd and sub). but nrg images doesnt need them.

and there is still my question - among all my images I have several nrg images. why it is possible to playpack properly just one of them and not other nrg images?

ffdshow cant playback even those two image files which wich can be played by Power DVD
I can playback all wav files and tracks from all images, if I set to 32 floating point instead of AC3
but then I dont get DTS sound - instead I get PCM
skabais
Posted 14/1/2006 4:05 PM (#898 - in reply to #893)

after two days almost exlusively spent on this problem I figured solution
apparantly this problem is related to architecture of SB Audigy ZS card which I happen to have

1) to listen to DTS wav format - the files should be written as audio cd OR audio cd image (doesnt matter which nero, clonecd etc). I personaly prefer image files much more convenient imho
1a) I have to switch through Audigy control panel to soundcard decoding (mistake was to try to switch it to S/PDIF pass through and use the external decoder which is built in my speaker system)
1b) I have to switch my soundcard and speaker system to "6 channel direct" (insted of "digital out")
1c) I have to mount image on virtual cdrom (Daemon tools) and play it with Creative Media Source Player (alternative may be VLC player, but I didnt get it to work)

the problem wath that I tried to apply same pattern of settings which I need to play DVDs or AC3 encoded movies

the only problem with my solution is that every time I want to change from listening to DTS music to watching a movie I have to reset decoder settings (soundcard decoding to S/PDIF passthrough) and change speaker system from 6 chan direct (analogue) to digital out (digital /coax) settings
Cole
Posted 15/1/2006 1:44 AM (#899 - in reply to #893)

Owner

Thanks for posting a follow up, you've discovered what a mine field DTS can be, but I'm sure other people will be helped by the information you've provided.

You may wish to try WinDVD instead of PowerDVD, I doubt it will make any difference, but it's what I use for playing back DTS Audio CD's, I set WinDVD to output via SPDIF (through a C-Media CMI8768 7.1 Channel with optical digital output) and decode on a Sony STR-DB1070 external reciever.

Other soundcards I've used include:
VideoLogic Sonic Fury 5.1 Channel with coaxial digital out (Made by Turtle Beach).

Gainward Hollywood @ Home 7.1 Channel with optical digital output (Uses Via Envy24 HT Chipset).
Also known as:
Hercules Fortissimo IV 7.1
Terratec Aureon Space 7.1

Philips Sonic Edge 4.1 Channel with coaxial digital output.

Other reciever used:
Sony STR-DE495

I was able to get DTS wav playback to work directly from hard disk a long time ago but if I remember correctly I had to disable support for DTS in AVI's and used an unstable version of ffdshow (My reciever indicated that it was decoding it as Dolby Digital, not DTS).
Since further versions of ffdshow were often broken when it came to DTS in wav files I stopped testing for it.

To sum it up, that is why I recommend burning the files to disc and my first recommendation of software based player is WinDVD.

A little more in depth:

I've heard of problems in the past with OEM SoundBlaster cards, in most cases features of the digital output have been disabled, for example: some of the old OEM SoundBlaster Live cards only have a 2 channel S/PDIF output while the retail versions have 5.1.
It may be that Creative have continued their practice of limiting soundcards to force upgrades.

A regular problem can be that when a soundcard mixer application is set to 6 channel it will disable 6 channel output through S/PDIF (This is usually done either because the hardware is limited in it's ability to process audio, or so that the company can sell consumers further components or upgrades).

A further possible problem can be caused if the soundcard has an equalizer.
In effect it would decode, set EQ depending on the user settings and then encode again for S/PDIF.
If the equalizer or soundcard are not able to, or licensed to re-encode a digital DTS output then it would force output on analogue directly through 5.1 channels or encode 2 channel PCM over S/PDIF.

Sorry if that information is perhaps a little too in depth, or not helpful to your situation but those are some of my findings with DTS through a digital output.
Perhaps the further information may help some other people.
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [10 messages per page]
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete all cookies set by this site)

Seconds to generate: 0.125 | Executed queries : 10

Copyright © Cole Williams 1999 - 2024 | www.EnVision-Design.co.uk