< Click the logo to return to the main page
+ More

Google
You are currently browsing the Forums
  Add to Favourites RSS Feed Main Site Knowledgebase Forums  
Search

Forums

You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

jerky dvd
Moderators: Cole

Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [10 messages per page]
View previous thread :: View next thread
   General discussion -> Issues / ProblemsMessage format

robh
Posted 16/12/2005 10:18 AM (#818)
Subject: jerky dvd

Yesterday when my daughter tried to play a dvd the sound and video were all jerky, I know it was working ok up to about 2 weeks ago, and as far as I know i have not changed any settings. One thing I did notice was that there was an icon for ffdshow on the far right of the taskbar, I do not remember installing this and it would not allow me to close it, and I couldnt find it to uninstall the programme. When i now put a disc in the drive the listing under my computer just stays as DVD-RW Drive (D whereas it used to change to show what disc was in there and I cannot get the drive to auto play at all, even to get audio cd's to play i have to clock on the drive in my computer and click on the track I want to play. Any help and suggestions appreciated.
I am running xp home sp2 on an evesham xp1800 pc with 768Mb ram and the drive is a TSST corp TS-H552U DVD-RW. I have followed the troubleshooting guide, I have run nero drive test, I have uninstalled and re-installed the device but it is still the same.
I can play video that is on my hard drive with no problems.
I have recently installed the codec pack from here, could this cause any problems? If so how do i uninstall it
Top of the page Bottom of the page
Link Bot
Related Links:

Bot

Cole
Posted 16/12/2005 11:16 AM (#819 - in reply to #818)
Subject: RE: jerky dvd

Owner

If you've run a Windows tweak application recently then you may find that its caused that, some change DVD drive speeds during playback and also block the auto play feature for DVD and CD media.
My codec packs never make such system changes, some others do though.

ffdshow is part of my codec packs and is only used for MPEG2/AC3/DVD if you changed the options for the formats its used with, for example you may have selected everything during the part of the installation shown in the images attached (A lot of people assume the options are for all codecs rather than reading the top).
That only applies to the Advanced pack though.

I'd suggest uninstalling my codec pack if you feel you may have set some options incorrectly, then restart and install the newest one with the default options left as they are.

Hope that helps.

(ffdshow_options_page_1.jpg)

(ffdshow_options_page_2.jpg)

Attachments
----------------
Attachments ffdshow_options_page_1.jpg (44KB - 274 downloads)
Attachments ffdshow_options_page_2.jpg (35KB - 263 downloads)
Attachments enable_auto_play.reg (0KB - 256 downloads)
robh
Posted 16/12/2005 2:20 PM (#827 - in reply to #818)

Thanks for the reply. Firstly how do I go about uninstalling your codec pack, just in cas ethis is one of the things I try? The reg file has made no difference but could that be because the drive is not reading the disc correctly, as I said the description under my computer no longer changes to that of the disc as it always did before. Any idea what tweak apps cause this type of problem, I havn't installed any but my daughter might have, also she has been watching and possibly downloading lots of video clips from the web recently.
Cole
Posted 16/12/2005 2:37 PM (#828 - in reply to #818)

Owner

Is that the same DVD drive you had trouble with before?

PS. uninstalling the pack can be done through "Start/Settings/Control Panel" select "Add Remove Programs" and you'll see it in the list.
robh
Posted 16/12/2005 4:23 PM (#832 - in reply to #818)

Yes it is the same drive that caused me problems in the past, I have used nero to test the drive with an audio cd in there and I am just going to try it with a dvd but I'm not sure what the results mean.
Do you think it could be a problem with the drive itself?
Cole
Posted 16/12/2005 4:58 PM (#833 - in reply to #818)

Owner

Yes definately
robh
Posted 16/12/2005 5:00 PM (#834 - in reply to #818)

All seems to be sorted at the moment, I went back into the device manager and re-checked the DMA settings, my dvd drive was stuck on PIO. Had to uninstall the IDE channel, re-boot and let windows re-configure.
I had already uninstalled the codec pack and VLC media player, something which was needed to playback downloaded video and srt subtitles.
Thanks for your time and willingness to help. I will be re-installing the codecs at some point and the other content I removed and will post if I find that any cause the problem to re-occur. I dont suppose you know of any other reason that this DMA setting might have got changed?
Cole
Posted 16/12/2005 5:13 PM (#835 - in reply to #818)

Owner

You can alter DMA settings in device manager, it usually disables when there is a problem, but usually you'd get an error message first.
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [10 messages per page]
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete all cookies set by this site)

Seconds to generate: 0.109 | Executed queries : 11

Copyright © Cole Williams 1999 - 2024 | www.EnVision-Design.co.uk