< Click the logo to return to the main page
+ More

Google
You are currently browsing the Forums
  Add to Favourites RSS Feed Main Site Knowledgebase Forums  
Search

Forums

You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

Version 6.0.3 of the Codec Packs released
Moderators: Cole

Jump to page : 1 2
Now viewing page 1 [10 messages per page]
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Applications -> Codec Packages & Related InformationMessage format

Cole
Posted 15/12/2005 6:33 PM (#815)
Subject: Version 6.0.3 of the Codec Packs released

Owner

Please see the main site for details.
Top of the page Bottom of the page
Link Bot
Related Links:

Bot

maska
Posted 16/12/2005 5:44 AM (#816 - in reply to #815)
Subject: RE: Version 6.0.3 of the Codec Packs released

VIP

Everything is ok with Standard Pack.

Now I can play also Transport files in Windows Media Player, CPU usage is about 50% - quite good in my opinion.

MPC has problems with Transport files, this has probably to do with Win 2003. If i change from VMR9 to VMR7 playback is better, but not perfect like in Windows Media Player.

I had also some small problems with Haali icons after I removed the splitter to install your pack: icons and associations were not kept. But I think I managed to remake them really nice from File Types option in Windows Explorer.

Edited by maska 16/12/2005 5:46 AM
Cole
Posted 16/12/2005 11:48 AM (#821 - in reply to #815)

Owner

Over the past few versions I've set .mp4 association to be removed during uninstall because of a huge number of people having it broken by Nero applications and a lot of players. I was originally going to set the package to detect association problems but the sheer number of programs doing it is very large, hence the detection would take me a very long time to code.

I'm brainstorming on the idea of the playback pack with a file association wizard, if I ever actually get it done.
maska
Posted 16/12/2005 3:06 PM (#830 - in reply to #815)

VIP

The file association problem is pretty delicate in my opinion, it can't be done 100% correctly. Then it comes the uninstall associations problem, there is also a big chance here that things won't go as it should. Then people will come and say than that file won't open only with x player...

So: don't try new things if they can't be done nicely.
Cole
Posted 16/12/2005 3:19 PM (#831 - in reply to #815)

Owner

It's not actually as hard as people think, but most installers out there simply change the association without backing it up first, when the people uninstall the association becomes invalid, but if the original was backed up first problems would be less likely.

I took the safe option of clearing .mp4 association to resolve the issue in the best manor, although not an ideal one.
maska
Posted 18/12/2005 2:51 PM (#837 - in reply to #815)

VIP

The .mp4 association was my fault, since I only had Haali Media Splitter and ffdshow installed before trying version 6.0.3.

I tried in the past K-Lite but this was (and probably still is) awful, the uninstaller of this pack left some codecs in System 32 folder and screwed up file associations.

If you say it isn't that hard to make decent file associations, I think it's time to add a player at least in the Standard Pack. Of course, this only can be Media Player Classic.
Cole
Posted 18/12/2005 4:17 PM (#839 - in reply to #815)

Owner

Hi Maska,

It is something that I've been considering a lot lately, many users of the K-Lite pack choose it because it has an integrated player, but as you already know it does cause problems during uninstalling and also any other player could cause conflicts.

I still think it's a better idea to create a player pack seperately from the codec packs to ensure that there wouldn't be conflicts.
A package with DivX Player for .divx media, MPC for .mp4 etc. and VLC Player for broken or trouble files.

At the same time though I think most users would agree with you more.
I'll see what I can come up with that would please everyone and be conflict free.
maska
Posted 18/12/2005 4:42 PM (#840 - in reply to #815)

VIP

No, I was talking that garbage codecs left after K-Lite uninstall create conflicts.

A player package is not really necessary in my opinion: you can play almost any kind of file with Media Player Classic. And yes, it can preview or play broken files also. I use it for corrupted files files I get from streams and for preview files in eMule. It works reall well.

And one more advantage for MPC (one big one): it's really easy to make a set up, you can save settings in an .ini file and it has only an .exe.
Cole
Posted 18/12/2005 5:00 PM (#841 - in reply to #815)

Owner

My thought about conflicts was based on the possibility of there being upto 3 instances of MPC installed, for example if people install K-Lites codec pack, quick alternative and real alternative.

When I do a package for Real Media and QuickTime a similar problem could occur but I think I have a way round it and will probably integrate MPC in the new year
maska
Posted 18/12/2005 6:00 PM (#845 - in reply to #815)

VIP

There will be a single package for QuickTime and Real?
Jump to page : 1 2
Now viewing page 1 [10 messages per page]
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete all cookies set by this site)

Seconds to generate: 0.140 | Executed queries : 47

Copyright © Cole Williams 1999 - 2024 | www.EnVision-Design.co.uk